Monday, January 19, 2009

Coffee Set

Here is the finished coffee set, ready to dry and get terra sig. I like the decreasing cup sizes with the cars, but I'm not sold on how the decoration works on the coffee pot. I'm wondering as well about the top section of the teapot body and the bottom section of the cups - both are currently bare clay. Does that need something else??

I'm excited to keep playing with this sort of concept, but I think it's going to take a few goes to get it right. I do find myself missing the visual interest of some of my earlier plates that had areas of stencils, painting and scraffito - I like the building up and layering of the surface.

Lots to think about - it's probably time to consult the sketchbook!


7 comments:

ang design said...

i like the simplicity of the design, but heh it's your set play away if you fee the need to decorate more....they look great!

Linda Starr said...

Nice to see the set together, I like how you reversed the color on the other side of the coffee pot.

Judy Shreve said...

I love the coffee set! I think you should continue to play - you showed us some cups in an earlier post that you had used some black slip (thick lines) under the design on the cups - I think it helped in balance of the design - but it works without it too.

cindy shake said...

You have been busy! I like the use of negative space. Though a subtle design element, the cups being inverses of the pot is cool! I would probably tend to overwork the embellishment, by adding more design or black along the bottom of the mugs and perhaps overdo the design. You're on it.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

I think you are definitely enroute to something special! Perhaps have even arrived! Hope you post them after firing. Great work!

Martina Lantin said...

Hey kip,
the set looks great, but i can see your concern about the area at the top of the coffeepot. what if, just as you've reversed the colours for the image, the top became a square of the other colour - so where you have a white background, it becomes a black square that mimics the form in a similar way. the area at the top seems like another great spot for deco - to create contrast in both the narrative and the colour maybe?
m

Taylor said...

I'm diggin' the stencil work. I took a look at your picture archives at your website. Such a switch from your Montana and MN work.

I'm a sucker for a nice cup and saucer.