Thursday, November 20, 2008

Juice Cups

I've decided that it's time to move on from the plates and try hand building and decorating some new forms. Plates lend themselves pretty naturally to the way I'm working right now, but it would be wonderful to have a broader body of hand built forms to pull from. The cups below were my first go so I kept them pretty simple. I'm not in love with the proportions, but it was fun to break up the form and try out some of the ideas I've been playing with in the round. I think today will be spent playing with cutting paper templates - I'd like to have a cup form with a bit more of an hourglass figure - these feel a little like soup cans! I wouldn't be surprised if I end up back on the wheel at some point, there are some shapes that are just so much easier to kick out on a wheel than by hand. And with all the time I'm spending decorating, anywhere I can cut down on labor is valuable... Next up - bowls!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These cups are beautiful! I love how you are pairing the very graphic images with the welcoming cup forms.

Congrats on your new studio.

Anonymous said...

These cups are beautiful! I love how you are pairing the very graphic images with the welcoming cup forms.

Congrats on your new studio.