Friday, September 12, 2008

Thoughts on Writing

One of the many long-term benefits I can see to keeping a regular blog is the frequent opportunity to practice writing. I spend a great deal of time expressing myself visually but I know written words can play a powerful role for me, my peers and my customers, if used effectively. I immediately think of my artist statement (which I sorely need to update), but also the world of magazine articles. I'm slowly developing an understanding that success in the arts hinges largely on promotion - an article is a great way to explain to the community what inspires you, where you've come from and where you're going.

I found a thoughtful post (and blog in general called Two For Joy) focused on choosing and using words. I certainly rely on a safe cache of language and could benefit from critically thinking about how I express myself verbally. I think in the end taking time and care in writing (and making it a regular habit) will solidify my ideas about my work and help to spur new directions.

No comments: