Monday, September 22, 2008

And so it begins...

My class at Northern Clay finally started last week! Hurray! I've been in the studio a fair bit taking advantage of the open work times. I'm ready to be learning more about glazes, that's for sure... For some reason, I've had the urge to handbuild rather than work on the wheel this past week, so I've embraced the feeling and am building away. It's funny to think that as a college student I *thought* I had no interest in handbuilding. I still love the wheel, don't get me wrong, but I'm enjoying the looseness of working by hand. Although, I spent the weekend between the two World Ceramics: Transforming Women's Traditions exhibits and I can't believe the skill of some of those women handbuilders. While I completely appreciate (and am in awe of) the possibiltiy for handbuilding to be this exact, for me it encourages a more organic and relaxed approach. We'll see how long it is before I'm pulling my hair out because I just can't get something round... I'm currently working on a series of small plates to test out some ideas with underglazes and paper resist. Still no camera yet, but I'll post pictures as soon as I have a way to take some! For now you'll have to settle for one of the exquisit (handbulit!) pieces from the NCC women in clay exhibition:

No comments: