Saturday, September 6, 2008

New Home

I have neglected this poor blog for far too long now. It's time to get myself back in the habit of updating regularly. Although, even with my sporadic posting habits, it's still an excellent reminder of change and growth. I'm amazed by how easy it is to forget where we start from - this is an ideal place to collect and document ideas, progress and new directions. So even though I've been away for seven months now (geez!) I'm going to jump back into the blogging world as I enter into a new chapter of my ceramic work and my life.

A big part of my blogging absence has to do with Aaron and my relocation from Pittsburgh to Minneapolis. It's scary to say this, but the last time I touched clay was back in March, right before NCECA (double geez!). In all honesty, it's been great to have an extensive break - I think I'm a person who needs time to digest and regroup/recharge away from my medium. But, I'm to the point now where I am itching to get my hands back into clay. Since I still don't quite have a studio lined up, I've been working to coalesce some of the ideas I've been mulling over surrounding food and energy in my sketchbook. Realizing these ideas in clay will probably be an entirely different story all together...




I went down to Carleton (my alma mater) with Aaron last week for the first time since I graduated in 2001. It was amazing to be back on campus and exciting to realize that I will be able to visit on a more regular basis than every seven years! On the way down we stopped to snap some photos of cornfields for me to use in my work. I'd like to get a few good shots of soy and wheat as well so I can work on some commodity themed pots....




While we were in Northfield we also hit up the Steam and Engine show, where we saw our good friend Anne Sawyer sing AND I got to get my fill of tractor pictures. Some of these will definitely be finding their way into my work...




No comments: